Sweet potato, lentil and spinach bowl
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This simple veggie goodness bowl is perfect for a comforting night in. The sweet potato wedges are soft and have a lovely middle eastern feel to them. This sits well with the juicy lentils and iron rich spinach. It's filling, tasty and has a nice kick to it.
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp tumeric
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 can of lentils
- 1 tbsp fresh grated ginger
- 3 crushed garlic cloves
- 100g spinach
- 1 lime
- Olive oil
- Salt and Pepper
Fresh ingredients will make all the difference with dishes like this, so make sure that your ginger, spinach, garlic and lentils are as fresh as possible. Avoid packets and cans if you can!
- Melt 1 tbsp of coconut oil on a low heat with the cumin, turmeric and cinnamon. Once melted, take it off the heat and place to the side.
- Cut up the sweet potato into wedges. Rub them in the oil spice mix with a big pinch of salt. Place on a roasting tray and roast for 40-45 mins until cooked through and crispy.
- Whilst that's cooking, heat another tbsp of coconut oil with the ginger and garlic in a pan for 1 minute. Add in the lentils and stir well with a pinch of salt. Add a few tbsp of filtered water and let this cook for 15 minutes. Keep checking and adding filtered water so that it doesn't burn on the bottom.
- Just before the potatoes are ready, place the spinach in a big pot with a little water and steam for a few minutes.
- Serve with fresh lime juice and olive oil.
Madeleine Shaw is an ambassador for the Better with BRITA campaign. For more recipes, healthy tips and videos visit www.brita.co.uk/betterwithbrita