Baked eggs with spinach and mushrooms
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This delicious recipe for baked eggs with spinach and mushrooms is really simple to make, taking only 30 mins in total. Egg has never tasted so good thanks to the double cream, spinach and mushrooms added. This recipe serves 6 people and is perfect served with crusty bread for dipping. This brunch recipe works out at only 250 calories per serving.
- 40g butter
- 300g mushrooms, sliced or quartered
- 175g spinach, washed
- 3tbsp dry sherry
- grating of fresh nutmeg
- 6tbsp double cream
- 6 large, free-range eggs
- 1tbsp finely chopped chives
Garnish with chives and serve with French bread.
- Heat oven to 190C/gas mark 5. Heat the butter in a large deep frying pan; add the mushrooms and fry for 8-10 mins, until deep golden. Season well.
- Add the spinach to the pan and cook, stirring, until wilted and the water has evaporated. Add the sherry and cook for a further 2 mins until dry.
- Stir in the nutmeg, then spoon into 6 buttered 150ml ramekins. Pour 1tbsp cream over each, then crack in an egg.
- Put the ramekins into a baking dish or roasting tin, then pour boiling water into the dish, so it comes about 2cm up the sides of the ramekins. Bake for 10-15 mins, until the egg white is set, but the yolk is still runny. Remove ramekins from the dish immediately to prevent further cooking.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 250(kcal)
- Fat 21.0g
- Saturates 11.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.