Slow cooker cheesy chicken bake
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Slow cooker cheesy chicken bake is a great family recipe made with chicken thighs, mushrooms and cheese. This recipe uses chicken thighs, which are a cheaper cut of chicken but are so tender, meaning you'll save some money with this easy midweek recipe. Make a double batch and freeze one, which you can cook from frozen another day.
- 8 skinless and boneless chicken thighs
- 2tbsp seasoned flour
- 1 onion, sliced
- 250g button mushrooms, wiped clean
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 200ml hot chicken stock
- 2 x 30g bag unsalted crisps
- 100g Gruyere, grated
If you don't own a slow cooker you could try this recipe in a casserole dish in the oven on a low heat
- In a bag, shake the chicken with the seasoned flour until well coated. Put in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Add the onion, mushrooms, garlic and thyme. Pour over the hot stock and cover, set the slow cooker to medium-high and leave for 3-4 hours.
- Once cooked through and tender turn off the cooker and divide the mixture between 4 foil dishes and allow to cool. Once cooled, scatter over the crisps and cheese, cover with a lid and freeze. Or eat as a casserole with mash.
- Cook from frozen at 160C, gas 2 for 1 hour. Or decant the casserole into a baking dish, add the criosps and cheese topping and bake for 30 mins at 200C, gas 6.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 388(kcal)
- Fat 18.0g
- Saturates 9.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.