Cornflake chicken dippers
Costs: Cheap as chips
Skill level: Easy peasy
If you're not in a rush, let the kids have a go at bashing the cornflakes in a plastic bag and dipping the chicken strips in the flour, egg and cornflakes.
- 250g chicken mini fillets
- 2tbsp plain flour
- 1tsp sweet paprika
- 1 egg, beaten
- 150g cornflakes, crushed
- 2tbsp sunflower or light olive oil
For the dip:
- 50ml soured cream
- 50g Philadelphia
- few snipped chives, optional
- mashed potatoes
- baked beans or any veg you like
- Trim the chicken into equal finger-sized portions. Mix the flour and paprika together and spread onto a plate. Put the egg into a bowl and beat with a splash of water. Spread the cornflakes onto a separate plate.
- Dip the chicken in the flour, next coat with the egg, then cover completely in the crushed cornflakes. Set aside, well covered, in the fridge until you want to cook.
- Heat the oven to 200C, gas 6. Heat the oil in a frying pan. Once hot, add the chicken and fry for 3-4mins each side until golden and crispy. They will cook more evenly if you do this in batches. Arrange the chicken on a baking tray, lined with baking parchment, and finish cooking in the oven for around 5 mins.
- Meanwhile, cook or heat any veggies. Mix the soured cream and Philadelphia and serve in a little pot alongside the chicken and any veg.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 257(kcal)
- Fat 11.0g
- Saturates 4.5g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.