Naked cake with berries and cream
If you like swap summer berries for blackberries, plums or caramelised apples or pears.
- 1x basic Victoria sponge cake, (sponges only)
- 250g fresh strawberries, with around 60g diced
- juice of ½ lemon
- 2 tablespoons demerara sugar
- 200ml double cream, cold
- 50g fresh raspberries
- 50g fresh blueberries
- small handful mini meringues
- icing sugar, to dust
- Make your basic Victoria sponge cake. Leave to cool.
- Combine the diced strawberries, lemon juice and sugar in a small bowl and set aside.
- Cut the cake horizontally in half using a serrated knife and place on your serving plate.
- In a large clean bowl, lightly whip the cream to soft peaks. Using a palette knife, spread the cream over the base cake. Scatter with the macerated strawberries then add the top cake layer (pretty side up) and sandwich the two cakes together.
- To decorate, arrange the remaining whole strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and mini meringues on top of the cake. Dust with icing sugar.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.