Rainbow surprise cake
Costs: Cheap as chips
Skill level: Easy peasy
Make your Victoria sponge multi-coloured with circles of vivid buttercream in different colours hiding in the middle and buttercream dots on top. Watch how to decorate your sponge cake this way in minutes, making the perfect cake for birthday and special occasions.
Try pastel colours or bright neon colours - the choice is yours!
- 1x basic Victoria sponge, (sponges only)
- 600g icing sugar
- 300g unsalted butter, softened
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- juice of 1 lemon
- yellow, pink, red, purple, blue and green food colour gel
- Make your basic Victoria sponge cake, sponges only - don't make the filling. Leave the sponge cakes to cool.
- Sieve icing sugar into a large bowl and whisk with butter until smooth. Add vanilla extract and lemon juice and whisk again until soft and smooth.
- Set out 7 bowls. Weigh 200g into 2 bowls, 150g into 3 bowls, 50g into 2 bowls. Colour each bowl of icing with one colour, leaving one 50g bowl plain, and stir well to combine. Transfer the coloured icings into 6 piping bags and cut a 2cm hole in each.
- Pipe concentric circles of each colour on the first layer of sponge and top with the second sponge. Spread a thin layer of plain icing over the top cake - this will help your icing dots stick. Using the remaining icing, dot circles over the top and serve.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.