Gluten free and egg free chocolate layer cake
It may be gluten free and egg free, but this chocolate layer cake really is a special celebration cake that everyone can enjoy – even if you have a gluten intolerance or are allergic to eggs. One for the whole family.
- 275g gluten-free dark chocolate, broken, plus extra to make curls
- 200g unsalted butter, cubed
- 150g caster sugar
- 150g light brown sugar
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 200g rice flour, sifted
- 1tsp gluten-free baking powder
- 200g ground almonds
- 225ml whole milk
- 500ml whipping cream
- 150g blueberries
- 150g raspberries
You will need:
- 3 x 19cm round sandwich tins, greased and the bases and sides lined with baking parchment
- Heat the oven to 180C, gas 4. On a low heat, melt the chocolate and butter in a heavy-based saucepan and stir to combine. Remove from the heat, add both the sugars and the vanilla extract, mix well until combined and leave to cool slightly.
- Fold in the flour, baking powder and ground almonds, then add the milk in two additions and mix until combined.
- Divide the mixture between the prepared tins and bake for 35 minutes. Allow to cool in the tins on the wire rack. Remove the cakes carefully from the tins as they may stick.
- To decorate, whip the cream to soft peaks, then spread a third of this over one of the sponges. Place a second sponge on top and cover this with a third of the cream. Decorate the top with the berries and chocolate curls.