Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Make nut-free pesto that's suitable for nut allergy sufferers so the whole family can enjoy it. It's ready in minutes, made with lemon juice and breadcrumbs. This pesto is made with classic ingredients including Parmesan cheese, basil and olive oil, so it's just as delicious as traditional pesto, but with no pine nuts. Serve with pasta, or drizzle over a salad or pizza.
- 25g crusty bread, (mostly crust)
- 50g bunches basil, leaves only
- 1 small garlic clove
- 35g Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- zest and juice ¼ lemon
- 60ml extra virgin olive oil
- 60ml rapeseed oil
- pinch nigella seeds
It will keep for 3-5 days in the fridge once opened.
- Toast the bread until golden, allow to cool then whizz into crumbs in a food processor. Add the remaining ingredients and some salt and pepper and pulse until combined.