Breakfast banana split
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
A breakfast banana spilt might be considered a real treat but this healthier version can be eaten for breakfast - yes, really! This recipe replaces the usual ice cream and flavoured syrups for ingredients that are better for you, but taste just as delicious. This is such a simple recipe to put together with little helpers and it can be ready to eat in as little as 5 mins.
- 1 large banana
- 100g plain Greek yogurt
- 3-4tsp strawberry jam or raspberry jam
- generous sprinkle mixed nuts, chopped
Up your 5-a-day but adding fresh berries like strawberries and raspberries to the mix.
- First of all, you will need to peel the banana. Your child can take over this task.
- Take the banana and use a tableknife to slice through the length of it. Try not to slice all the way through to the other side, but just enough to open up the banana.
- Place the split banana onto a serving dish. If the banana falls over, simply cut a tiny slice from the underside to flatten the base.
- Now your helper can spoon the Greek yogurt over the banana.
- If you wish to drizzle the jam over the yogurt, you can either use a bottle of squeezy jam or simply warm the jam for a few seconds in the microwave until it becomes runny. Alternatively, you can just use it straight from the jar and spoon it straight over the top!
- Your child can now sprinkle the mixed nuts over the top of the yogurt and banana. Serve straight away.