Mini Nutella pancake kebabs
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Mini Nutella pancake kebabs are a real treat. No child (or adult) will be able to resist these fruity, chocolatey kebabs. After all, food on a skewer is always very exciting! Your child can help with whisking, spreading and assembling these irresistible kebabs and no doubt they'll help with the eating too.
- 100g plain flour
- ½tsp baking powder
- ¼tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 100ml milk
- 1 large egg
- 1tsp vegetable oil
- 300g strawberries
- 100g Nutella
You can make these pancake kebabs a few hours in advance, if you can resist eating them straight away!
- First of all, make the pancakes. Ask your child if they can help to measure the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda into a medium-sized mixing bowl. Give the dry ingredients a little stir to combine.
- Measure the milk into a measuring jug. If you have an eager helper, they may want to crack the egg. If so, crack the egg into a little bowl first, so that it is easier to pick out any stray shell!
- Add the egg to the milk, along with the vegetable oil. Give the wet ingredients a whisk to break up the egg, then pour into the flour.
- Use a balloon whisk to mix all the ingredients together, until the mixture becomes smooth. Leave it to stand for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, wash and hull the strawberries, but leave them whole.
- Now it's time to grease a frying pan lightly with a little vegetable oil. Preheat the pan over a medium to high heat.
- If you want your mini pancakes to be all the same size, you can cook them in a small metal cookie cutter, placed in your frying pan, as long as there is no plastic on it! However, this method will require plenty of time. Alternatively, simply spoon the pancake batter straight into the pan. The batter is thick, so it should hold its shape while cooking! Just be sure not to use more than 2tsp batter at a time – otherwise the pancakes will end up too large for the skewers.
- Whichever method you use, cook the pancake batter until tiny bubbles begin to form on the surface of the pancakes. Once the bubbles appear, flip the pancakes over to cook the other side, for approximately 1 minute, or until they turn light golden brown.
- Leave the pancakes to cool on a wire rack or plate.
- Once the pancakes are cool enough to handle, your little helper can spread a little Nutella on top of each of them.
- Now it's the really fun job of assembling the pancakes and strawberries onto the skewers. You will need approximately 4 skewers for this. Don't forget to snip off the sharp pointy end of each skewer - you can use a pair of kitchen scissors for this.
- Alternate between the Nutella-covered pancakes and strawberries as you push them onto the skewers. There's no denying that this is a messy job, but it's highly likely that your little helper will especially love this part!