Cowboy hot dog
Costs: Cheap as chips
Skill level: Easy peasy
Pimp your hot dog with this cowboy hot dog recipe, topped with tangy onions and plenty of cheese and sandwiched in classic hot dog buns. This recipe makes 6 loaded hot dogs. Once you've tried this recipe, you'll never look at a classic American hot dog the same way again. These tasty hot dogs are perfect for parties, or if you're feeding a crowd at a laidback get-together.
Make these hot dogs on the day you want to serve them.
- 6 hot dog sausages (we used Helen Browning’s Organic)
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1tbsp sunflower oil
- 6 toasted hot dog rolls
- a handful of Monterey Jack cheese, grated
- Cook 6 hot dog sausages on the BBQ for 5 mins, until piping hot.
- Fry 2 onions, sliced, in 1tbsp sunflower oil, until crispy.
- Fill 6 toasted hot dog rolls with some onion and a sausage, then top each one with a handful of Monterey Jack cheese, grated.
- Put back on the BBQ, with the lid down, to melt the cheese. Add BBQ sauce or ketchup.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 345(kcal)
- Fat 16.0g
- Saturates 7.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.