Dairy free strawberry mousse cake
Prep time:plus chilling time
Skill level: Bit of effort
Costs: Cheap as chips
Our dairy-free strawberry mousse cake is light and fruity, made with coconut milk and plenty of strawberries to make a quick and easy cake that everyone can enjoy. It take just 20 minutes to prepare before it's chilled overnight to set into a delicious dessert that's made for sharing, as it serves 8-10 people with no fuss. You wouldn't believe that this mousse cake is dairy-free as its light and creamy just like traditional mousse. The sharp strawberry flavour works wonders with the subtle coconut flavour. Leftovers can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 2 days but is best eaten on the day its made.
IngredientsFor the cake:
- 185g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 75g plain flour, sifted
For the mousse:
- 300g strawberries, hulled, plus extra to serve - watch our food hack on how to hull strawberries with a straw
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 75g caster sugar
- 3 gelatine leaves, soaked in cold water
- 400ml can coconut milk, chilled for 1 hr
Decorate with strawberries and a dusting of icing sugar, if you fancy.
- Heat the oven to 200C, gas 6. Base line a 23cm spring clip-tin with baking paper.
- Whisk together the sugar and eggs until very light and you can see a ribbon trail on the surface of the mixture. Gently fold in the flour, then spoon into the tin. Bake for 12-15 mins until springyto the touch. Cool in the tin for 5 mins. Turn out onto a wire rack to finish cooling. Trim the cake to fit very snuggly inside a 20cm spring-clip tin.
- To make the mousse, whizz the berries and vanilla to a purée. Heat the purée with the sugar in a pan. Add the gelatine and stir until dissolved. Leave to cool.
- Pour away the water from the coconut milk and whisk the remaining cream. Mix the coconut cream into the cooled purée, then pour this on top of the cake. Chill for around 4-6 hrs or overnight.
- To serve, carefully remove from the cake tin and place on a serving plate.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 294-235(kcal)
- Fat 11.0g
- Saturates 8.5g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.