Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Hearty aubergine parmigiana is a real winner for the family. This quick and easy recipe is ready in just 30 mins, packed full of vegetables and made in just one pot, saving on the washing up. This meat-free meal is simple to make and bursting with flavour thanks to the fresh basil, rich tomatoes and thick layer of Parmesan. Top with mozzarella before cooking in the oven for a golden finish. Plus, you'll be pleased to hear that a portion works out at only 322 calories!
- 3 aubergines, sliced
- 4tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2x400g cans chopped tomatoes
- Handful fresh basil, torn, plus extra to garnish
- Pinch of caster sugar
- 400g can lentils, rinsed and drained
- 100g grated Parmesan
- 1 ball mozzarella, torn
If you're not a fan of lentils but still want to keep this dish vegetarian friendly swap for Quorn mince instead.
- Lay the aubergine on baking trays and brush with half the oil. Grill until golden brown, then turn and cook on the other side.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a pan, add the garlic and allow to infuse for 1 min. Pour in the tomatoes, basil and sugar, and simmer for 10 mins. Add the lentils and cook for 5-10 mins to warm through and reduce.
- Layer the aubergine with the tomato sauce and a generous sprinkling of Parmesan. Dot the mozzarella over the top and grill. If you want to make ahead, leave to cool completely, then chill. Reheat in the oven at 200C, gas 6 for 25-30 mins. Scatter a few basil leaves over the top of the dish just before serving.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 332(kcal)
- Fat 21.0g
- Saturates 7.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.