Lamb and halloumi stuffed peppers
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Quick lamb and halloumi stuffed peppers make the perfect midweek meal when you're in a hurry. Plus, it counts as two of your five-a-day. These delicious stuffed peppers are easy to make and perfect for the whole family. Top with squidgy halloumi and watch them disappear in minutes. Season with cumin and dried meat for an extra kick of flavour. This recipe serves 4 people and takes only 25 mins to make.
- 4 large red peppers
- 1½tbsp olive oil
- 350g frozen lamb mince
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1tsp each dried mint and ground cumin
- ½tsp each cinnamon and ground coriander
- 2tbsp tomato purée
- 250ml hot lamb stock
- 250g pack mixed grains
- 250g halloumi, sliced
Don't fancy lamb? Swap it for Quorn mince and add 200g chopped tomatoes
- Heat the oven to 200C, gas 6. Put the peppers, cut-side down, on a large baking tray lined with baking paper. Drizzle the peppers with a little olive oil and roast for 5 mins, then turn and cook for a further 5 mins.
- Dry-fry the mince (from frozen) in a non-stick sauté pan. Remove to a plate, then add the remaining olive oil to the pan and cook the onion with the herbs and spices for 5 mins.
- Add back the lamb, tomato purée and stock, and simmer for 10 mins. Stir in the grains to coat in the meat sauce. Season to taste.
- Spoon lamb mix into the peppers and top with halloumi. Pop in the oven to melt the cheese. Serve with salad.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 642(kcal)
- Fat 38.0g
- Saturates 17.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.