Sweet potato and courgette fish cakes
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Sweet potato and courgette fish cakes are quick and easy to make, with soft sweet potato, baking potatoes, courgette and fresh cod. This new spin on fish cakes makes the perfect family meal served with salad leaves and a side of mayo mixed with sweet chilli sauce. Fish cakes are ideal for the midweek rush when you haven't got much time in the kitchen. Coming in at 2 of your 5-a-day, these fish cakes work out at only 321 calories per serving - ideal if you're trying to be healthier or counting calories.
- 2 sweet potatoes, pricked with a fork
- 2 baking potatoes, pricked with a fork
- 2 small courgettes
- 200g cod, chopped
- Zest and juice 1 lime
- 2tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
- ½tsp smoked paprika
- Plain flour, for dusting
- 2tbsp sunflower or light olive oil
If you don't have cod, use haddock instead.
- Cook the potatoes in the microwave, on high, for 8-10 mins – they need to be soft. Halve and scoop out the flesh into a bowl.
- Grate the courgettes and add to the cod, lime zest and juice, coriander and smoked paprika. Mix well.
- Divide the mixture into 8 equal patties. Mix the flour with salt and freshly ground black pepper, then lightly dust the patties.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and cook the fishcakes until golden brown on both sides and heated through. Serve with a green salad and a side of mayonnaise mixed with sweet chilli sauce.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 321(kcal)
- Fat 7.0g
- Saturates 1.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.