Apple and custard meringue pudding
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Apple and custard meringue pudding is a dleicious apple dessert, with apple and custard topped with cloud-like meringue. This dessert is a real winner and a new way to have apples for dessert. This baked pudding serves 8 people and is ideal for sharing. Make in advance and leave to cool slightly before serving. We promise everyone is going to love it!
- 4 large Bramley apples, peeled and cored
- 2tbsp raisins
- 1tbsp light brown sugar
- ½tsp ground cinnamon
- 350ml milk
- 300ml double cream
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 4 eggs, separated
- 225g caster sugar, plus 2tbsp
- 2tbsp gluten-free cornflour
- 1tbsp white wine vinegar
Swap the raisins in this recipe for chopped walnuts or almonds instead for a nutty finish.
- Chop the apples and put into a deep saucepan with the raisins, brown sugar and cinnamon. Cover with a lid and gently heat until softened and slightly saucey.
- To make the custard, gently heat the milk, cream and vanilla until steaming. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk the egg yolks with 2tbsp sugar and 1tbsp cornflour. Slowly pour the hot cream over the yolks, whisking all the time. Once combined, pour back into the pan and return to the heat. Bring to the boil and cook for 3-4 mins until thickened, then set aside.
- Put the apples in a 1.5-litre ovenproof dish. Pour over the custard and allow to cool. Heat the oven to 180C, gas 4.
- To make the meringue, whisk the egg whites until stiff, then gradually add the remaining sugar, returning to stiff peaks after each addition. Whisk through the remaining cornflour and vinegar, then spoon over the custard. Bake in the oven for 20-25 mins until lightly golden and set.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 499(kcal)
- Fat 25.0g
- Saturates 14.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.