Gluten-free and dairy-free chocolate cake
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Rich gluten-free and dairy-free chocolate cake is so good that you won't even know it's missing the usual ingredients. It's perfect for a special occasion as it means everyone can enjoy it, even allergies and intolerances. With this cake, special dietary requirements won't be a problem! It's easy too, and takes less than an hour to make. It serves 10, making it perfect for a party. The gooey chocolate ganache on top is made with coconut cream and dark chocolate, the soft sponge is made with gluten-free flour and filled with a soya spread buttercream. But when you try it, you won't even tell the difference!
- 250g Stork Original Baking Block
- 225g caster sugar
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 225g gluten-free self-raising flour
- ½tsp xanthan gum
- 25g cocoa
- 1 avocado, mashed
For the filling:
- 150g Pure Soya spread
- 4tbsp icing sugar
- 2tbsp cocoa
- 2tbsp raspberry jam
For the ganache:
- 200g dark chocolate
- small can coconut cream
Any leftovers can be stored in a cake tin in a cool area for up to 2 days.
- To make your chocolate cake, heat the oven to 180C, gas 4. Cream together the Stork and caster sugar until pale and creamy, then slowly add the eggs, little by little. Sift over the flour, xanthan gum and cocoa powder, and fold into the mixture. Stir in the avocado and divide the mixture between 2x20cm round cake tins.
- Bake for 20-25 mins. Leave to cool in the tins for 10 mins, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the filling, mix together the soya spread, icing sugar and cocoa, and set aside. To make the ganache, melt together the chocolate and coconut cream in a bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water. Once melted, leave to cool until thickened.
- To assemble, sandwich together the cakes with a layer of raspberry jam topped with the cocoa mixture. Drizzle over the ganache and allow it to drip around the edges of the cake. Decorate with your favourite edible decorations (we used Dr Oetker star wafers).
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 690(kcal)
- Fat 45.0g
- Saturates 17.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.