Mushroom and spinach pilau rice
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Mushroom and spinach pilau rice makes a delicious vegetarian recipe, ready in just 30 mins. It's full of warm spices like turmeric, cumin seeds and cardamom, which bring the mushroom and spinach to life. This classic Indian recipe serves 6 people and any leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days.
- 3tbsp vegetable oil
- 1tsp cumin seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- Good pinch turmeric
- 2 cardamom pods
- 200g mushrooms, chopped
- 300g Basmati rice, rinsed
- 100g spinach
- 25g toasted flaked almonds
If you want to serve this dish as a main on it's own, top with spicey cooked chicken pieces or falafel.
- Heat the oil in a large sauté pan and fry the cumin seeds for 1 min. Add the bay leaf, turmeric, cardamom and mushrooms, and fry until fragrant.
- Add the rice and a good pinch of salt and stir. Pour in 600ml boiling water. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and cook, loosely covered, until the rice is fluffy and tender (about 15 mins).
- Add the spinach for the last 5 mins. Fork the rice and scatter over the almonds.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 260(kcal)
- Fat 8.5g
- Saturates 1.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.