Roasted cauliflower and cherry tomato dhal
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Flavour-packed roasted cauliflower and cherry tomato dhal is so simple to make and only 211 calories! It takes around an hour to cook, but it's worth the wait. Made with yellow split peas and topped with cauliflower and cherry tomatoes, this dhal is full of all the classic Indian spices as well as onion and ginger. Get some naan bread for dipping and you've got a delicious Indian meal that's good for you too.
- 250g yellow split peas, rinsed well
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 1tsp turmeric
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 head cauliflower, broken into florets
- 250g cherry tomatoes
- 1tbsp vegetable oil
- Ĺtsp each cumin seeds and chilli powder
- 1 onion, sliced
This side is best served on the day its made and eaten on the same day too.
- To make the dahl, boil 1 litre water and add the split peas, garlic, ginger, turmeric and bay leaves. Return to the boil, skim off any scum, then cover with a lid and simmer for 45 mins-1 hr, stirring now and then, until it thickens.
- Heat the oven to 200C, gas 6. Toss the cauliflower and tomatoes with the oil, cumin, chilli powder, onion and seasoning on a baking tray. Roast for 20 mins.
- Check the consistency of the dhal. If itís a bit runny, remove the pan lid and increase the heat to reduce, stirring well.
- Once the split peas are soft and fairly smooth, season well with salt. Serve in a bowl with the cauliflower spooned on top.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 211(kcal)
- Fat 4.0g
- Saturates 1.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.