Homemade Creme Eggs
Prep time:plus setting
Costs: Cheap as chips
Skill level: Easy peasy
Watch how to make homemade Creme Eggs with our simple but super fun recipe. They're so much easier than you might think and will make the perfect treat for Easter. Once you've mastered this recipe, you can use your homemade Creme Eggs to decorate cakes, cupcakes or eat on its own with a cuppa. This recipe makes 6 regular sized Creme Eggs and takes around 10 mins to prepare, plus setting time.
Look out for Cadbury's hollow eggs for an authentic look, or use small hollow eggs of your choice
- 200g white fondant icing
- few drops egg yellow food colouring
- 6 Cadbury’s hollow chocolate eggs
- Grate the fondant icing on the coarse side of a box grater. Add 150g to a small bowl and 50g to another.
- Add 1tbsp boiling water to each bowl and a little of the egg yellow food colouring to the bowl with less fondant in. Using a fork, stir the fondants until melted and smooth - you may need to a little extra water to the larger mix to help it dissolve. Transfer each colour to a separate piping bag.
- Carefully slice the top off the chocolate eggs with a sharp knife and discard (or eat) the lids. Set in an egg box ready for filling.
- Pipe the white fondant into each egg, just over half way up, then pipe the yellow on top to create the yolk. Leave in a cool place to set for 15 mins, and eat!
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.