Slimming World's turkey meatballs in Creole sauce
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Slimming World's turkey meatballs in Creole sauce is a delicious meal you'll want to make over and over again. Turkey is one of the leanest meats around and minced turkey makes truly magnificent meatballs. This dish is served with a vibrant vegetable sauce using the gentle heat of Cajun spices. With heaps of vegetables including celery and onion and plenty of flavour, thanks to the rich tomato sauce, you can't go wrong with this recipe. This recipe serves 4 people, which makes it perfect for the whole family. It takes around 1hr to prepare and cook this dish.
- low calorie cooking spray
- 800g lean turkey mince (5% fat or less)
- 2tsp dried thyme
- 1tsp dried chilli flakes
- small handful chopped fresh parsley, to garnish
For the creole sauce:
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 6 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 3 peppers (a mix of red, yellow and orange looks great), deseeded and roughly chopped
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- a pinch of sweetener
- 1 bay leaf
- 1tbsp Cajun seasoning
Swap turkey for beef or lamb mince instead for a different flavour but just remember this will adjust the syn count.
- Preheat the oven to 180C, gas 4.
- First, put all the sauce ingredients in a saucepan and bring to the boil over a high heat. Reduce the heat to low, season to taste and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, spray a large ovenproof dish with low calorie cooking spray.
- Put the turkey, thyme and chilli in a large mixing bowl and season to taste.
- Using your fingers, mix well and roll into walnut-sized meatballs. Arrange the meatballs in a single layer in the ovenproof dish. Spray with low calorie cooking spray and cook in the oven for 10-12 minutes.
- Pour the tomato sauce over the meatballs to cover them evenly, then return the meatballs to the oven and cook for 15-20 minutes or until the meatballs are cooked through.
- Scatter over the parsley and serve hot with vegetables or rice.
Slimming World’s Free Food Feasts is available to buy from February 29th in all Slimming World groups in the UK and Ireland, priced at £4.95/€7.95. To discover more recipe inspiration, or to find your nearest group, visit slimmingworld.co.uk. Image credits: Slimming World’s Free Food Feasts/Gareth Morgans