Piña colada freakshake
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Piña colada freakshake really takes milkshake to the next level! A ‘freakshake’ is an Australian-inspired milkshake designed to wow - in this case, it's an adults-only extravaganza with rum, coconut ice cream, fresh pineapple, coconut cream and topped with fresh cream, roasted pineapple and coconut macaroons. More is more with a freakshake! It's a liquid dessert with a twist. Put some music on, grab your sunglasses and get ready to party! This recipe makes 2 towering freakshakes in a matter of minutes.
IngredientsFor the roasted pineapple:
- 120g pineapple, drained
- 2tbsp white rum
- 2tbsp runny honey
For the glass rim:
- 100g white chocolate, broken into chunks
- 50g coconut chips or desiccated coconut
- 300ml double cream
For the Piña Colada shake:
- 100ml white rum
- 50ml coconut cream
- 6 scoops of coconut ice cream
- 120g fresh pineapple chunks, including any juice
- 4 coconut macaroons (or use Bounty bars)
- 120g fresh pineapple, to decorate
This recipe is best made and enjoyed on the same day!
- Preheat the oven to 200C, gas 6. Place the drained pineapple into a roasting tin. Pour over the rum and honey and roast for 10 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Melt the white chocolate by placing it into a heatproof glass bowl over a pan of simmering water, making sure that the water doesn’t touch the bowl - or you can give it 30-second blasts in a microwave, stirring in between. Once melted, stir and leave to cool for 5 minutes.
- Dip the rim of 2 glass-handled jars or tall glasses into the melted chocolate and then into the coconut chips or desiccated coconut so that it sticks around the rim.
- Using an electric whisk, whip the cream until thick and scoop it into a piping bag fitted with a wide nozzle. Set to one side.
- For the shake, pour the rum, coconut cream, 2 scoops of ice cream and fresh pineapple with any juice into a high-powered blender. Blend until smooth.
- Put 2 scoops of coconut ice cream into each glass. Pour the piña colada shake over the ice cream in the glass until you reach the bottom of the rim.
- Pipe a swirl of double cream into the glass and keep piping until the cream reaches over the rim.
- Top the whipped cream with coconut macaroons and slices of the roasted pineapple and sprinkle over any remaining coconut chips or desiccated coconut. Serve straight away.
Recipe, styling and photography by Ren Behan.