Fish pies in a mug
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
The whole family are going to love tucking into these easy to make fish pies in a mug. They take only 10 mins to prep and 30 mins to cook in the oven. They're a great potion size for each family member. This recipe uses mixed fish but if you'd rather stick with one type of fish in your pie you can - just make sure you use the same quantity. Fish pies in a mug include a great cheat too, using readymade puff pastry which certainly speeds up the cooking time. These one-pot meals will save on washing up and are perfect for the mid-week rush.
- 600–700g fish (salmon, white fillet or smoked haddock)
- 300ml crème fraîche
- zest and juice of 1 lemon fresh parsley (you can also use dill or thyme)
- 1 packet of pre-rolled puff pastry, approx. 320g
- salt and pepper, to taste
This recipe would work just as well with pieces of chicken or mushrooms for a veggie option.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 4.
- Cut the fish into approx. 3cm chunks.
- Mix the fish with the crème fraîche in a medium bowl.
- Add the zest and juice of the lemon to the fish.
- Season with the herbs, remove a portion for baby, then add salt and pepper (for toddlers and adults) and set aside.
- Use the top of a mug to cut out discs of puff pastry and set aside. Pour the fish mixture evenly into 4 ovenproof mugs.
- Place a pastry disc on top of each mug.
- Bake in the oven for 20–30 minutes, or until the fish is cooked through and the pastry is golden.
Baby at the Table by Michela and Emanuela Chiappa is published by Michael Joseph, ￡16.99