Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This classic pumpkin cake is the ideal way of using up leftover pumpkin over the winter months. Whether the leftovers are from Halloween pumpkin carving or a harvest you were lucky enough to have in your back garden, you’re going to love this mouth-watering pumpkin cake recipe topped with thick cream cheese frosting and sprinkled with cinnamon. This pumpkin cake serves 10-12 people and will take only 20 mins to prep. Store this cake in an airtight container in a cool, dry place. If you’ve added the whipped cream topping, it’s best stored in the fridge.
- 400g prepared pumpkin
- 175ml sunflower oil
- 250g light muscovado sugar
- 2 medium eggs
- 175g self-raising flour, sieved
- ¾ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp each ground cinnamon and ground mixed spice
For the topping:
- 300g icing sugar, sifted
- 50g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 125g cream cheese, cold
- pinch of cinnamon (optional)
Loosely wrap cooled and decorated pumpkin cake in cling film, then put into a sealed freezer-proof box for up to 1 month. Defrost at room temperature for 2 hours or overnight in the fridge.
- Set the oven to 180°C, gas 4. Put the pumpkin flesh into a large bowl with 1 tablespoon water. Cover with cling film, pierce the film a few times, then microwave on High for 8 mins. Alternatively, cook in pan with 4 tbsp water for 15 mins, then drain.
- Use a hand-held stick blender to blend the pumpkin flesh until smooth.
- Put the oil, sugar and eggs in a large bowl and whisk together, using a hand-held electric mixer, until thick and pale.
- Fold in the flour, bicarbonate of soda, and spices. Gently stir in the pumpkin purée. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin. Bake for 40-50 mins, or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Leave the cake in the tin for 5 mins. Run a knife around the edges and turn cake out on to a wire rack to cool.
- To make the topping whisk the icing sugar, butter and cream cheese in a large mixing bowl with an electric hand whisk. Spoon on top of the cake and spread evenly. Dust with cinnamon and serve.