Vegetarian filo pie
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Spinach and artichoke hearts combined with vegetarian feta cheese give the veggie filo pie a Greek touch. Served with a side of salad, this pastry tastes good both hot and cold. Posh up your picnic with this ultimate filo pie - just add sliced red onion and green peppers for an extra veg hit. Thanks to the ready-made filo pastry sheets, this pie is very easy to make and it only takes about 30 minutes to prepare, so it’s great for situations where you need a quick savoury treat. (Like when your friends and family have already devoured the first pie and are yearning for more…)
- 4 large sheets filo pastry
- 25g butter,melted
- 125g bag baby leaf spinach
- 6 eggs, whisked
- 3tbsp milk
- small bunch mint, chopped
- 100g roasted artichoke hearts, halved
- 100g vegetarian feta, crumbled
- salad leaves, to serve
This is perfect for lunch boxes. Make up a whole pie and portion up into Tuppawear for the week.
- Heat the oven to 180C fan, gas 6. Line a loose-based 24cm tart case with the filo sheets, leaving overhang. Brush each layer with melted butter, then fold the overhang back into the case and brush with more butter.
- Prick the spinach bag with a fork and microwave for 30 secs, until just softened. Open the bag and allow to cool slightly before handling.
- Put the eggs, milk and mint into a large bowl, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, and whisk until combined. Arrange the spinach, artichoke hearts and feta in the filo case and pour over the egg mix. If you want to vary the taste, try scattering some sliced red onion and green peppers on the pie. Cook in the oven for 20 mins.
- Serve the pie hot or cold with a green salad.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 281(kcal)
- Fat 16.0g
- Saturates 7.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.