Peri peri prawns and spicy rice
Skill level: Easy peasy
This zesty dish of peri peri prawns with red and green peppers and turmeric goes really well with some spicy rice. Let the uncooked prawns soak up the peri peri flavour in a fridge before cooking them over a high heat. The lemon-and-chilli flavoured peppery spice truly brings out the best in prawns. Smoked paprika and green and red peppers with mixed vegetable stock give the rice the extra oomph it needs to really compliment the spicy flavour. This colourful seafood plate looks great and tastes even better, so give it a try!
- 400g uncooked prawns with the tail on, defrosted if frozen
- 25g peri-peri seasoning
- 1tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 each red and green pepper, deseeded and diced
- ½tsp turmeric
- ½tsp hot smoked paprika
- 200g rice
- 400ml vegetable stock Mixed salad, to serve
- Tip the prawns into a large bowl, sprinkle over the peri-peri seasoning and stir well. Cover them with clingfilm and leave in the fridge for 15 mins to season.
- Meanwhile, heat half the oil in a deep pan and fry the peppers over a high heat for 3 mins. Add the turmeric and smoked paprika, and cook for a further 2 mins.
- Add the rice to the pan and stir well. Pour over the vegetable stock, bring to the boil and turn the rice down to a simmer. Cover and cook for 10-12 mins, until the rice is just tender.
- Heat a frying pan to high with the remaining oil and cook the prawns for 2 mins on each side until pink through and slightly charred. Serve straight away with rice and mixed salad.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 307(kcal)
- Fat 4.0g
- Saturates 1.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.