These Chicken Chimichangas are filled with juicy chicken, sweetcorn, tomato salsa and spring onions. This tasty wrap is easy to make: fill the tortilla, fold it together and fry it quickly on a hot pan so it holds together more easily - clever! Chimichanga is traditionally known as a deep-fried burrito, but frying it on a pan requires a lot less oil! This is a fantastic dinner with classic Mexican flavours and suits well for a small evening meal with friends and they are also a handy packed lunch. Serve together with mashed avocado, coriander and cheese
- 2tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and sliced
- bunch spring onions, sliced
- 197g tin sweetcorn, drained
- 35g Mexican spice mix
- 2tbsp tomato purée
- 300g tomato salsa
- 200g cooked chicken, shredded
- 4 large plain flour tortillas
- 1 ripe avocado
- juice 1 lime
- Small handful coriander leaves
- 50g Lancashire cheese, crumbled
- Heat half the sunflower oil in a large pan and cook the pepper and spring onion for 3 mins. Add the sweetcorn and Mexican spice mix and cook for a further 3 mins.
- Next, stir through the tomato purée, salsa and chicken, and warm through.
- Divide the chicken mixture between 4 tortillas and fold into a rectangular parcel, securing with cocktail sticks.
- Mash the avocado with lime juice and season, then set aside.
- In a separate large frying pan, heat the remaining oil until hot. Fry the parcels for 1 min on each side, until they are golden brown and crisp.
- Carefully remove the parcels from the pan and leave them on kitchen towel to soak up any excess oil. Remove the cocktail sticks, slice each parcel in half. Serve the chicken chimichangas with the avocado, coriander and cheese.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 554(kcal)
- Fat 25.0g
- Saturates 8.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.