Pork and chorizo sausage and butterbean mash
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This dish of pork and chorizo sausage and butterbean mash makes for a filling and tasty dinner. Sausage and mash are a classic dinner option, but using the smoky chorizo sausage gives more variety to your meal. The sausage comes with a hint of red peppers and paprika flavour, giving your dish extra tasty pizzazz. The mash made out of potatoes and creamy butterbeans is high in protein and potassium, so it’s good for your heart. Fry chopped leafy greens to go with your sausage and mash, and mix them together with half-fat crème fraîche and nutmeg for a delicious side. Serve with the traditional mustard.
- 8 pork and chorizo sausages
- 250g potatoes
- 25g butter
- 150ml milk
- 400g tin butterbeans, drained and rinsed
- 1tsp sunflower oil
- 200g leafy greens, chopped
- 4tbsp half-fat crème fraîche
- Pinch grated nutmeg
- Wholegrain mustard, to serve
- Heat the grill to medium high and cook the sausages for 15 mins until cooked through and crisp, turning regularly.
- Meanwhile, peel and chop the potatoes and put them in a deep pan of cold salted water. Bring to the boil and cook for 10-12 mins until tender, then drain well. Add the butter and milk to the pan and return to a low heat. Once melted, tip in the butterbeans and mash well. Add the potato, season and mash until well combined and smooth.
- Heat the sunflower oil in a large pan and fry the leafy greens for 2 mins. Stir through the crème fraîche and nutmeg, and remove from the heat.
- Spoon the butterbean mash onto each plate with some creamy greens and top with sausages. Serve the pork and chorizo sausage and butterbean mash with mustard.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 584(kcal)
- Fat 38.0g
- Saturates 34.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.