Slimming World's Mighty Meatzza
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Can’t choose between a burger and a pizza? With this brilliant recipe you can have both at once! Mighty Meatzza is a guilt-free treat, delicious eaten hot or cold and it is so versatile you can enjoy it for dinner, lunch or at a dinner part. The kids will definitely love it too, which means there's no need to make one meal for you and another one for the rest of the family. Using low fat meat mince keeps this recipe nice and lean and the topping ensures that it doesn't dry it out, making for a succulent and tasty meal.
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 500g passata with basil
- 4 tbsp tomato purée
- a pinch of sweetener
- 1tsp dried chilli flakes
- 25g finely chopped fresh basil, plus leaves to garnish
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 100g low fat natural cottage cheese
- 200g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 500g lean beef mince (5% fat or less)
- 250g lean pork mince (5% fat or less)
- 2 tsp dried Italian herb mix
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
If you fancy something a bit different you could try swapping the veggies for some of your other favourites as they're all syn free!
- Preheat the oven to 190°c/Fan 170°c/Gas 5. Put the garlic, onion, passata, tomato purée, sweetener and chilli flakes in a saucepan and bring to the boil over a high heat. Turn the heat down to medium, stir in the basil, season to taste and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, line a heavy-based 25cm pizza tin with non-stick baking parchment. Put all the ingredients for the base into a large bowl, season to taste and mix well using your fingers. Press this mixture into the prepared tin to make a flat round base and bake for 12-15 minutes. Remove the base from the oven and drain off any liquid. Increase the oven temperature to 220°c/Fan 200°c/Gas 7.
- Spread the passata mixture over the base, add dollops of cottage cheese and scatter over the mushrooms and peppers. Return the pizza to the oven and cook for 8-10 minutes or until the topping is lightly browned and bubbling. Scatter over the basil leaves, cut into wedges and serve with a crisp green salad.
Recipes taken from Slimming World’s collection. To find your nearest group, visit slimmingworld.co.uk or call 0344 897 8000.
Images: Slimming World magazine/Gareth Morgans