Pressure cooker chicken and fig tagine
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This easy pressure cooker chicken and fig tagine recipe is sure to become a family favourite. This hearty tagine is made in a pressure cooker which means less effort for you when it comes to dinner time! The tender chicken in this recipe works wonders with the sweet, succulent figs. This recipe serves 4 people and will take only 30 mins to whip up. It's a great alternative to your Sunday roast or if you fancy something different midweek, this warming dish will brighten up your week for sure! This recipe can be frozen so any leftovers, pop into an airtight container and freeze for up to 1 month. Defrost overnight in the fridge and reheat until piping hot before serving again.
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 4 chicken breasts on the bone (1kg)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large red onion (300g), sliced thinly
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons each ground cumin, coriander, ginger and cinnamon
- pinch saffron threads
- 180ml chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 315g spinach, trimmed, shredded coarsely
- 6 medium fresh figs (360g), halved
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons each coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley and coriander
- 70g roasted unsalted pistachios, coarsely chopped
If you have an electric pressure cooker you won’t need to reduce the heat to stabilize pressure, your cooker will automatically stabilise itself. Always check with the manufacturer’s instructions before using.
- Season flour in large bowl; add chicken, toss to coat in flour. Shake off excess. Heat half the oil in 5.5-litre pressure cooker; cook chicken, in batches, until browned. Remove from cooker.
- Heat remaining oil in cooker; cook onion, garlic and spices, stirring, until onion softens. Return chicken to cooker with stock and honey; secure lid. Bring cooker to high pressure. Reduce heat to stabilise pressure; cook 15 minutes.
- Release pressure using the quick release method; remove lid. Remove chicken; cover to keep warm. Stir spinach into cooker; season to taste.
- Place figs, cut-side up, on baking-parchment-lined oven tray; sprinkle with sugar. Cook under preheated grill about 5 minutes or until figs are browned lightly.
- Return chicken to cooker; simmer, uncovered, until hot. Serve tagine topped with figs; sprinkle with herbs and nuts.
Taken from Lakeland's Pressure Cooking Book - £5.99, Lakeland stores and Lakeland.co.uk
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 656(kcal)
- Fat 39.0g
- Saturates 8.5g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.