Bacon and Camembert wreath
Prep time:plus chilling time
Costs: Cheap as chips
Skill level: Easy peasy
This mouth-watering bacon and Camembert wreath is the perfect Christmas showstopper which is guaranteed to take centre stage on your festive dinner table. It's the ideal party food for sharing with friends and family serving around 8 people. If you're having friends round this year then pop this in the centre of a buffet and everyone will be happy, guaranteed! You might just need more than one... This impressive wreath is so easy to make, wrapping readymade shortcrust pastry around thin slices of bacon and baking - it's that easy! It will take around 45 mins to prepare and cook this recipe but it's well worth the wait and the prep time is just fifteen minutes so there's lot too much to do before you get it in the oven. Topped with maple syrup it's one for sweet and salty lovers.
This bacon and Camembert wreath is best made and eaten on the same day!
- 320g ready-rolled shortcrust pastry
- 12 rashers streaky bacon
- 3tbsp maple syrup
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 Camembert
- Heat the oven to 220C. Cut each bacon rasher in half and set aside. Unroll the pastry, cut in half length ways and each half into 12 even strips. Top with bacon strips and brush over 2 tbsp maple syrup.
- Curl each strip into a twist and chill for 30 mins.
- Place the lid from the camembert box into the centre of a large lined baking tray and arrange the bacon pastry twists around it, to create a wreath shape. Brush with beaten egg and bake for 10 mins.
- Remove from the oven and replace the camembert box lid with the cheese in the box base, cut a cross in the top and drizzle over the remaining syrup. Bake for a further 15 mins and serve.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.