Slimming World Chicken Katsu Curry
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Slimming World's Chicken Katsu Curry is one of their most popular recipes ever thanks to the deliciously savoury sauce and simple method. Japan’s best-known contribution to the world of curry features irresistible slices of chicken coated in crunchy breadcrumbs and a very more-ish mildly curried sauce.
- 4 skinless and boneless chicken breasts
- 2 medium slices of wholemeal bread from a small 400g loaf
- Finely grated zest of 1 unwaxed lemon
- 3 eggs, beaten
- Low-calorie cooking spray
For the sauce
- 2 onions, sliced
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 tbsp mild curry powder
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 600ml boiling chicken stock
- A pinch of sweetener
- 4 tsp soy sauce
- Rice, spring onions and chilli, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas 6 and line a large baking sheet with non-stick baking paper. Place the chicken breasts between sheets of cling film and bash with a wooden mallet or rolling pin until slightly flattened. Discard the cling film and season the chicken to taste.
- Put the bread in a food processor, blitz to fine crumbs and tip into a wide, shallow bowl. Stir in the lemon zest. Put the eggs in another wide, shallow bowl. Dip each chicken breast first in the egg and then the breadcrumbs. Place them on the baking sheet, drizzle over any extra egg and spray with low calorie cooking spray. Set aside.
- To make the sauce, spray a large non-stick frying pan with low-calorie cooking spray and place over a medium heat. Stir-fry the onions for 4-5 minutes then add the garlic and carrots. Stir-fry for 4-5 minutes then add the curry powder, tomato purée, stock, sweetener and soy sauce.
- Bring to the boil over a high heat then reduce the heat to medium and cook for 15-20 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Meanwhile, put the chicken in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until cooked through and lightly golden. Slice each chicken breast into thick strips.
- Blitz the sauce using a stick blender or food processor and season to taste (you can keep the sauce chunky if you prefer but it’s more authentic if you give it a good blitz). Spoon the sauce on to plates and top with the chicken. Serve hot with rice, garnished with spring onion and chilli.
Recipes taken from Slimming World’s new recipe book Curry Club, available in all Slimming World groups in the UK and Ireland priced £4.95/€7.95. To find your nearest Slimming World group visit www.slimmingworld.co.uk or call 0344 897 8000.
Images: Slimming World magazine/Gareth Morgans