Mulled wine cheesecake
Prep time:plus setting time
Costs: Cheap as chips
Skill level: Easy peasy
If you like mulled wine, you're going to love this mouth-watering no-bake mulled wine cheesecake. It's so easy to make and is a great way of using up leftover mulled wine from all the Christmas celebrations. It will take around 40 mins to prep this cheesecake and around 5hrs for it to set in total so its best made in advance and kept in the fridge until ready to be served. This delicious cheesecake is also hiding a secret ingredient which adds a rich, nutty texture as well as flavour to the base of the cheesecake - florentines. Florentines are made traditionally with almonds and sticky sugar so work wonders with the warming, spicy flavour of the mulled wine glaze. This mulled wine cheesecake would make a great centrepiece for festive parties.
This cheesecake is best made the day before so it has plenty of time to absorb flavours.
IngredientsFor the cheesecake:
- 100g butter, melted
- 225g digestive biscuits, finely crushed
- 6 Florentines, finely chopped
- 5 gelatine leaves, soaked in cold water
- 3 x 250g tubs full fat cream cheese
- 500g mascarpone
- 100g sifted icing sugar
- 1tsp vanilla extract
For the glaze:
- 150g caster sugar
- 100ml mulled wine
- 3 gelatine leaves, soaked in cold water
- 125ml double cream
- 80g white chocolate buttons
- red food colouring
- For the cheesecake; mix the crushed digestive biscuits almost all of the chopped Florentines and melted butter until well coated. Put into the base of a 20cm cake tin, scatter over the rest of the Florentines and press lightly to make an even layer. Leave in the fridge
- Squeeze the water out of the water out of the gelatine, dissolve with 50ml of water in a small pan over a low heat, allow to cool then stir in 1 tub of the cream cheese. Beat the mascarpone with the icing sugar until smooth. Gently mix in the gelatine mixture and the rest of the cream cheese, donít over mix or it could become runny. Pour into the tin and leave in the fridge for 4 hours to set.
- For the glaze, dissolve the sugar and mulled wine in a small pan over a low heat. Bring to the boil then simmer for 2 mins. Add the cream, mix well and bubble for another 2 mins. Take off the heat, squeeze the water out of the gelatine and mix in to dissolve. Leave to cool for 5 mins. Add the white chocolate and food colourig, mix until smooth, strain through a sieve and leave out to cool and thicken for 2530 mins.
- Take the cheesecake out of the tin, put on a cake stand. Pour over the glaze, spooning a little bit around the edges first to get the drips, then pour into the middle. Leave to set for 30 mins.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.