Costs: Cheap as chips
Skill level: Easy peasy
If you’ve got an animal lover in your family then they’re going to love these fun lion pancakes. If you make them using ready-made Scotch pancakes you can have them up and on the table in minutes and they make a really fun weekend treat for little ones. Of course, these would be delicious if made with homemade pancakes too. The best thing about this lion pancake idea is that it encourages children to eat a whole extra portion of fruit in the disguise of a mane! We’ve used melted chocolate in our version but to save on time and mess you could of course use writing icing, it will look just as good and give a little sweet hit to make kids think it’s a real treat. If your little one isn’t so keen on lions you could experiment with all sorts of animals, Scotch pancakes make good bunny faces, owls and hedgehogs with the right use of accessories we’ve found!
Use different coloured writing icing to give your lion a cheeky sticking-out tongue!
- Scotch pancakes
- 2 tangerines, broken into segments
- 1 strawberry, cut in half
- 2 blueberries
- Writing icing or melted chocolate
- To make your lion pancake place a Scotch pancake in the middle of a plate, making sure you have enough room for his mane around the outside!
- Then take all your individual pieces of tangerine and line them up in the same direction all the way around the pancake to make the mane.
- To make his face cut a little triangle out of the wide end of your strawberry, to give you an almost heart-shaped strawberry for his nose.
- Put your strawberry in the middle of his face, dot the two blueberries either side for his eyes and draw a mouth and whiskers below the nose with either melted chocolate or writing icing.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.