Dutch baby pancake pizza
Costs: Cheap as chips
Skill level: Easy peasy
If you fancy a pancake this week but want to make it savoury instead of sweet, why not try this tasty Dutch pizza pancake recipe? It's the perfect way to enjoy pancakes if you don't have an overly sweet tooth and is really easy to make. In fact, this recipe is also perfect if you want a home made pizza but don't want to faff with making dough, as the batter is made in one bowl and then the Dutch pizza base is made as though you're just making a pancake – so there's no hard work when it comes to kneading or stretching the dough as you would with a pizza. Once you've got your base ready, it's time to spread your favourite toppings on top and whack it in the oven. We've chosen the classic pizza toppings of mozzarella, olives and pepperoni, but you could easily switch these toppings up for your favourites if there's something else you'd prefer. Once everything is melted and cooked, it's just a case of serving it up and enjoying it. So for a quick week night dinner or special Shrove Tuesday dish, give this delicious savoury pancake a go.
IngredientsFor the pancakes
- 125g plain flour
- 1/4tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- pinch of pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 125ml whole milk
- 25g melted butter
For the topping
- 4tbsp pizza sauce
- 125g mozzarella
- torn sliced pepperoni
- 2tbsp chopped olives
- oregano leaves
- Combine the flour, salt, pepper, baking powder, eggs and milk in a bowl and whisk until the batter is smooth.
- Let the mixture rest for 20 minutes.
- In a frying pan, melt the butter and use a brush to coat the pan with the buttery liquid.
- Pour the pancake mixture into the middle of the pan and let it cook for a moment.
- Remove the pan from the hob and place in the oven for 15 minutes at 200C.
- Remove the pan from the oven. Spread the tomato pizza sauce base over the pancake and spread the mozzarella, pepperoni and olives over the top.
- Place the pan bake in the oven for 8 minutes until the toppings have melted and cooked.
- Remove from the oven and serve sprinkled with the oregano leaves.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.