White chocolate birthday cake
Prep time:Plus cooling time
Skill level: Bit of effort
This white chocolate birthday cake is a real show-stopper. The sponge itself is flavoured with white chocolate so that you get a delicious hit of it in every mouthful. We've also added a ganache icing, just in case it wasn't indulgent enough, and topped everything off with a good helping of truffles. In the centre is the truffle filling as well as some strawberry jam to compliment the white chocolate flavours so you get a few flavours coming through. This white chocolate birthday cake is perfect for a big celebration as it serves 12 and looks gorgeous as a table centrepiece, too.
- 200g butter, at room temperature
- 250g golden caster sugar
- 1tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 250g self-raising flour
- 200ml milk
- 100g white chocolate, melted
- 4tbsp strawberry jam
- 150ml double cream, whipped
- 300ml double cream
- 300g Belgian white chocolate
- Strawberries and cream truffles (we used Lindor)
- 75g white chocolate, coarsely grated
- 2 x 18cm (7in) round cake tins, greased and lined
- Heat the oven to 180°C or Gas Mark 4. Cream the butter and sugar together with an electric mixer, until thick and pale.
- Add the vanilla and the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Mix in a third of the flour and then half the milk. Repeat, then beat in the remaining flour.
- Gently beat in the melted chocolate, until combined.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the tins. Bake for 35 mins or until firm to touch and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Cool in the tins for 10 mins, then transfer to wire racks. Remove the baking parchment and cool completely.
- For the ganache, warm the cream until steaming. Put the chocolate in a heatproof bowl and pour over the hot cream, stirring until smooth. Chill until firm.
- Put 1 cake onto a stand and spread over the jam. Spoon over the whipped cream and sandwich the cakes together.
- Use a palette knife to spread the ganache around the sides and over the top of the cake. Decorate with truffles and white chocolate shavings.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 717(kcal)
- Fat 46.0g
- Saturates 28.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.