Spring sausage and mash
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
What could feel more comforting after a long day than a classic sausage and mash recipe? It’s a much-loved favourite with kids and adults everywhere and will really feel special as an evening meal this spring. With herby pork chipolatas and creamy veggie mash, that’s made with healthier crème fraiche rather than butter and mustard to give it a little bit of a kick, our version of bangers and mash tastes even better than you’ll remember. Serve it up with a healthy helping of Spring greens and you’ll be well on your way to five-a-day too. This recipe serves four people and is ready really quickly, so whether you’re after a week night dinner that’s ready in a flash or something comforting this weekend you just can’t go wrong with a classic sausage recipe that everyone will love.
- 200g King Edward potatoes
- 150g swede
- 150g carrots
- 12 pork and herb chipolatas
- 200ml half-fat crème fraiche
- 1tsp olive oil
- 150g spring greens, chopped
- 2tsp wholegrain mustard
- To make this sausage recipe, heat the oven to 200°C or Gas Mark 6. Peel and roughly chop the potatoes, swede and carrots into small pieces and steam over a pan of simmering water for 15 mins, until tender.
- While the vegetables are cooking, tip the sausages into a roasting tray and bake for around 15-20 mins, until cooked through.
- Drain the potatoes, add half the crème fraiche and seaon well. Mash the vegetables and keep warm. Heat the oil in a frying pan and cook the spring greens over a high heat for 3 mins, reduce the heat slightly and spoon over the remaining crème fraiche and the mustard. Stir well to mix and serve with the hot mash and the sausages.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 520(kcal)
- Fat 37.0g
- Saturates 19.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.