Spatchcock peri-peri chicken
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Mix up your usual roast dinner for something extra special with this delicious spatchcock peri-peri chicken recipe. Itís spicy and super moist, so the whole family will love the unusual flavours. Served up with a medley of Mediterranean vegetables, itís also a great way to make sure your family get a healthy mix of protein and vitamins in their diet. While spatchcocking a chicken looks complicated, it couldnít be easier with this simple recipe. Try it this week and youíll have a new favourite to try again and again.
- 1 chicken (about 1.5kg in weight)
- 3 red chillies, deseeded and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2tsp paprika
- 2tbsp malt vinegar
- 2tbsp chopped parsley
- 2tbsp olive oil
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Mixed vegetables, optional
- To spatchcock the chicken, turn it over, so the fleshy breast side is face down on a board. Use scissors (ideally poultry shears) to cut away either side of the backbone. Discard the bone.
- Open out the chicken. Use the heel of your hand to press the central breastbone down Ė this will help to flatten the chicken.
- Pierce a knife in several times all over the chicken, to help the flavours mingle in, and season.
- Put the chillies, garlic, paprika, vinegar, parsley and oil in a mini food processor and blend everything together, to make a smooth paste.
- Spread the chilli paste over the chicken. Loosely cover and chill for several hours or overnight to marinate.
- Heat the oven to 200įC or Gas Mark 6. Cook the chicken for 45 mins, with mixed veg, if you like (Mediterranean ones work well with the flavours). The chicken juices should run clear when a knife is inserted into the thigh. Serve the chicken with the lemon wedges.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 240(kcal)
- Fat 10.0g
- Saturates 2.5g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.