Lentil lasagne with mushrooms and aubergines
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This hearty vegetarian mushroom, lentil and aubergine lasagna is made with fresh pasta sheets and veggies in mind. This recipe is easy to follow, just layer in your lentils, aubergine and mushrooms spinach and cheese sauce and cook for 30 minutes before tucking in. We love that this recipe is really simple to give your own twist, depending on what you fancy (or what's in the fridge!). Meaty veggies like peppers and courgettes also work well in a lentil lasagne and could be substituted in their place if you prefer. When you're ready to serve we think garlic bread and a large green salad is the perfect accompaniment to this lentil lasagne.
- 3 aubergines, sliced lengthways
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 200g green lentils
- 600ml veg stock
- 2tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2tbsp sun-dried tomato paste
- 300g mushrooms, sliced
- 500g frozen spinach
- 250g pot quark
- 200ml crème fraiche
- 60g vegetarian Parmesan, grated
- ¼tsp ground nutmeg
- 75g – 2 large sheets – fresh lasagne
- 1tsp dried oregano
- 2 large baking sheets, greased and lined
- Heat the oven to 200°C. Arrange aubergine slices on the baking sheets. Sprinkle over half the garlic and brush over 2tbsp oil, Cook for 15 mins, until the aubergines are tender.
- Heat 1tbsp oil in a large pan, add the onion and carrot and cook for a few mins, to soften. Add the lentils, stock, vinegar and sun-dried tomato paste and simmer for 20 mins, or until the veg and lentils are tender.
- Heat the rest of the oil in a frying pan, add the mushrooms and cook for 5 mins, turning until browned.
- Put the spinach, the rest of the garlic and salt in a bowl and microwave for 5 mins, or until defrosted. Tip into a metal sieve and use a potato masher to squeeze out all the excess liquid.
- Tip the quark and crème fraiche into a jug. Add half of the Parmesan and the nutmeg, then season. Mix together until smooth.
- Layer the lentil mixture, aubergine slices, lasagne, mushrooms, spinach and cheese sauce. Sprinkle over the remaining cheese and oregano. Cook for 30 mins, until pale golden.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 761(kcal)
- Fat 40.0g
- Saturates 19.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.