Cookie ice cream sandwich with chocolate and cherries
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Cookie ice cream sandwiches are a thing of real beauty, that any child would love. The combination of rich chocolate and sour cherry however puts a grown up twist on the classic ice cream sandwich so that you can serve these up to kids and adults alike. This crowd pleasing dessert is a childhood favourite, and the element of nostalgia means you won’t mind getting your hands a bit messy when you dig in. The combination of soft ice cream and fresh, chewy cookies is bound to put a smile on your face. We’ve used vanilla ice cream in our cookie ice cream sandwich, but you could also try using chocolate or cherry to match the flavours in the cookie. This recipe makes 30 cookies, and you only need 12 to serve 6 people, so the rest can be kept in an airtight container for 2 days or stored in the freezer for up to 1 month.
- 175g unsalted butter, melted
- 200g soft dark brown sugar
- 100g golden caster sugar
- 1tsp vanilla essence
- 1 large free-range egg, plus 1 yolk
- 250g plain flour
- 1½tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 200g milk chocolate, chopped into small chunks
- 150g sour cherries
- 1l tub ice cream
- Heat the oven to 160C. Beat together the butter, and the sugars, then the vanilla, egg and egg yolk, until light and creamy. Fold in the flour, bicarbonate of soda and a pinch of salt, until just blended.
- Stir in the chocolate and cherries and drop 1tbsp of mixture on to the baking sheets for each cookie – you may have to do this in batches. Don’t flatten the dough out. Bake for 10 mins, until the edges are crisp. Leave to cool on baking sheets.
- To assemble, spoon 4tbsp ice cream on to half the cookies, top each with another cookie and press down lightly. Serve immediately.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 328(kcal)
- Fat 15.0g
- Saturates 9.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.