Madeleine Shaw's healthy banana bread with peanut butter
Skill level: Easy peasy
Healthy banana bread is always a great bake when you want a treat for breakfast that's still good for you, or even if you want a mid morning snack with a cuppa. This healthy banana bread recipe is vegan too, as well as gluten free, so you can have it if you follow a vegan diet as well, just make sure the chocolate you use is vegan. To make this healthy banana bread, you'll need about 10 mins to prepare and then all you have to do is pop in the oven and let it cook for 50 mins, or until this gluten free banana bread is cooked through and golden on top. This healthy banana bread recipes makes one medium loaf, which will serve about six people. If you need to feed more people, you can double the quantities but make sure you have a big loaf tin to make this gluten free banana bread. Madeleine explains why she loves this vegan banana bread recipe: 'We all love banana loaf but Iíve taken this up a notch by adding peanut butter. Oh yes, bananas are a great source of energy, but did you know they can also help you to sleep? Whenever I want a really good nightís sleep Iíll munch on this loaf because bananas contain trytophan, an amino acid that helps the body to produce serotonin. It calms and relaxes you, which is essential for glowing skin!' So if you're looking for a delicious gluten free banana bread, you'll need to try Madeleine Shaw's recipes...
- coconut oil, for greasing (optional)
- 80ml maple syrup
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 100g coconut oil, melted
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 80g coconut sugar
- 200g spelt flour or gluten-free flour
- 1tbsp chia seeds
- 1tsp baking powder
- Ĺtsp bicarbonate of soda
- pinch of salt
- 150g good-quality dark chocolate, chopped into small chunks or chips
- 125g peanut butter or almond butter
- Preheat the oven to 170C. Grease a loaf tin with coconut oil or line with baking paper.
- Put the maple syrup, mashed banana, coconut oil, vanilla and sugar in a large bowl and mix well. In another bowl, stir together the flour, chia seeds, baking powder, bicarb and salt. Tip the flour mixture into the wet mixture in the first bowl and stir together well.
- Pour a quarter of the batter into the prepared loaf tin, then sprinkle a quarter of the chocolate chips over and dot a quarter of the nut butter on top in teaspoons. Repeat this layering with the rest of the mixture.
- Bake in the oven for 50 minutes until just cooked through and golden on top. You want this cake to be moist. Remove from the loaf tin and leave to cool on a wire rack, then slice and enjoy.