Joe Wicks' halloumi fries
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Joe Wicks' halloumi fries are the perfect compromise between healthy and indulgent. This Body Coach recipe is low in carbs, so it's ideal if you're trying to shed pounds or cut down on carbohydrates. Halloumi is always a favourite for veggies, and this is a vegetarian dish that can be whipped up as a side dish, starter or even as a snack in no time at all. To make these halloumi fries, you'll need 12 mins to prepare them and 10 mins to cook them before you can devour them. Joe Wicks' halloumi fries recipes only serves 4 people, so make sure you double up the recipe if you're feeding more people - these dippers are so moreish that they'll vanish before your eyes in minutes! Joe suggests serving them with avocado, a quick tomato salsa and a big fistful of rocket for an extra dose of veg. Joe Wicks says: 'What did the cheese say when it looked in the mirror? Halloooo me! These make a wicked little snack at a party or barbecue. They wont last long though, so you might want to double up the recipe.'
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 eggs
- 75g plain flour
- 150g panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tsp nigella seeds
- 2 x 250g blocks of halloumi, patted dry and cut into 1cm slices
- 300g fresh tomatoes, roughly chopped into 2cm chunks
- juice of 1 lime1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tbsp chipotle paste
- salt and pepper
- 1 avocado, de-stoned and cut into thick wedges
- rocket, to serve
- To make this Joe Wicks recipe preheat your oven to 180°C (fan 160°C/gas mark 4).
- Spoon the coconut oil onto a baking tray and slide the tray into the oven to heat for 5 minutes while you crumb your halloumi.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl and give them a whisk. Tip the flour and breadcrumbs into separate bowls and mix the nigella seeds through the breadcrumbs. Pick up a slice of halloumi and first dip it into the flour, giving it a little shake to remove any excess, then dip into the egg, again giving it a little shake.
- Drop the slice into the breadcrumbs and flip around a couple of times to ensure it is evenly coated. Place the crumbed cheese onto a plate and then repeat the process with the remaining slices of cheese.
- When you have a neat line of crumbed cheese, carefully slide the hot baking tray out of the oven and lay the cheese slices into the hot oil. Slide the tray back into the oven and cook for 3 minutes, then carefully flip the cheeses over and cook for a further 3 minutes, until the halloumi is warmed through and the breadcrumbs are golden.
- While the cheese is baking, mix together the chopped tomatoes, lime juice, red onion and chipotle paste and season with salt and pepper.
- Before serving, slide the baked cheese onto a clean piece of kitchen roll and dab off the excess oil. Serve with the avocado, the quick tomato salsa and a big fistful of rocket.