Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Breakfast toasties are a tasty and filling way to start the day. We may think of plain toast as a breakfast staple, but it is made even better when topped with gooey melted mozzarella, wrapped in Parma ham and accompanied by fresh asparagus and tomatoes. We’ve used sourdough bread for our breakfast toasties, which has a satisfying crunch and slight chew when toasted, but you can use any slices of your favourite bread. Our breakfast toasties recipe turns your standard morning toast into something much more gourmet and packed with flavour. The combination of Parma ham and mozzarella is a classic, but not something you’d often think of for breakfast. Try something new tomorrow morning and start your say with a breakfast toastie.
- 2 balls mozzarella, quartered
- 1tbsp chopped thyme leaves
- 8 slices Parma ham
- 2tbsp sunflower oil
- 350g asparagus, trimmed
- 4 small bunches of cherry tomatoes on the vine
- 4 thick slices sourdough bread
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- Extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar, to drizzle
- Pat the mozzarella dry on kitchen paper. Sprinkle thyme on a plate and season. Roll mozzarella lightly in the thyme, then wrap a piece of ham around each to form a parcel.
- Heat 1tbsp oil in a frying pan, add the parcels and cook for 2 mins on each side. Toss the asparagus in the remaining oil and season well. Heat a grill pan to hot and cook the asparagus for 5 mins, turning until charred, adding the tomatoes after a few mins.
- Grill the bread until golden, then rub each slice with garlic. Top with the asparagus, tomatoes and mozzarella parcels. Drizzle with a little olive oil and vinegar.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 363(kcal)
- Fat 16.0g
- Saturates 6.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.