Cooking time:plus cooling
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Vegetable crisps are a new twist on the classic potato crisp. You can now buy a whole variety of vegetable crisps, but it’s so easy to make your own that are cheaper and healthier than anything you can buy. We’ve used a mix of thinly sliced beetroot, parsnip, and sweet potato, but you could apply the same method to other root vegetables if you prefer. These vegetable crisps are baked, not fried, making them a much healthier alternative to regular crisps. There are only a few tablespoons of oil in the whole batch, meaning the results are low in fat. After their first bake in the oven, the crisps will crisp up but then soften slightly. The trick is to then bake them again for a few minutes, then they will stay perfectly crisp for up to a week, when stored in an airtight jar. Vegetable crisps are the perfect snack or side for a summer lunch or picnic, or can be served with drinks at a party.
- 500g beetroot, peeled
- 500g sweet potatoes, peeled
- 400g parsnips, peeled
- 3tbsp olive oil
- 3 baking sheets, lined with baking parchment
- Heat the oven to 220°C. Slice the beetroot with the thin slicing attachment on a food processor. If you haven’t got one, use a mandolin or vegetable peeler. Put into a bowl.
- Repeat with the sweet potatoes and the parsnips.
- Spread them out on the baking sheets (you may need to bake a couple of batches). Brush with oil.
- Bake for 10-12 mins, until crisp and golden, then leave them to cool on the baking sheets. Store in an airtight container.
- To serve and crisp up, heat in the hot oven again for about 3 mins. Store in an airtight container and they’ll stay crisp.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 215(kcal)
- Fat 6.5g
- Saturates 1.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.