Pineapple pudding with tequila syrup
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Pineapple pudding is a light and fruity sponge cake with a tequila twist. This pineapple pudding is buttery and sweet with tart pineapple and lime zest cutting through, making it perfectly balanced. Adding tequila to this summer dessert makes it something a bit different and adds a touch of Mexican flair. Impress your friends with this grown up take on a classic pineapple pudding.
- 1 prepared pineapple, cut into segments
- 225g butter, softened
- 200g light muscovado sugar
- 4 eggs
- 175g plain flour
- 200g self-raising flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 2tsp ground mixed spice
- 1tsp freshly grated ginger
- finely grated zest of 1 lime
- 60g butter
- 60g light muscovado sugar
- finely grated zest and juice of 1 lime
- 2tbsp tequila
- Heat the oven to 180°C. Grease a 2ltr Bundt tin. Blend ¼ of the pineapple in a food processor until smooth and set aside.
- Cream together 200g butter and the sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually whisk in the eggs. Fold in the processed pineapple, both the self raising flour and plain flour, baking powder, mixed spice, ginger and lime zest.
- Pour into the Bundt tin and bake for 35 mins, or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Cool in the tin.
- Fry remaining pineapple in the remaining butter until golden and caramelised.
- To make the syrup, melt the butter and sugar in a pan. Boil for 2 mins or until a golden caramel colour, then stir in the lime juice and tequila off the heat.
- Turn the cake out of the tin. Prick the surface with a skewer and spoon over some of the syrup. Arrange pineapple pieces on the top and sprinkle the cake with lime zest, then pour over the remaining syrup.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 428(kcal)
- Fat 21.0g
- Saturates 13.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.