Chicken and pickled red onions
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Chicken with pickled red onions is a fresh and zesty dish to make for any week night meal. Mexican food is always guaranteed to please any crowd when you are entertaining, and great for everyone getting stuck in and serving themselves. Add this chicken and pickled red onion to your menu and it will go down a treat! Pickling the red onions will not only give a zingy flavour, but also provides lots of health benefits. Pickling food, especially vegetables, is fantastic for gut health as it provides healthy bacteria, which can help break down hard to digest cellulose in food, as well as some of the natural sugars. This picked red onion chicken is a healthy family meal that is quick and easy to prepare and will have everyone asking for seconds.
- 1 small red onion, finely sliced
- 1tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 cooked chicken breast, shredded
- 2 small spring onions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 green chilli, diced
- 2cm piece of ginger, grated
- handful of coriander, chopped
- 1tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- juice of 1 limes
- 2tbsp spicy green or red salsa
- Round corn chips, to serve
the longer you leave the red onion in the pickling liquid, the strong the taste of the pickle will be.
- Put the sliced red onion, red wine vinegar and ¼tsp salt (and if you want your pickle a little sweet we would recommend also adding just a pinch of sugar) in a bowl and marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, mix the chicken, spring onion, garlic, chilli, ginger, coriander, oil and lime juice. Chill for 10 to 15 minutes.
- To serve, top each corn chip with a little chicken, salsa and pickled onion.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 63(kcal)
- Fat 3.0g
- Saturates 0.5g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.