Vegan Christmas puddings
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Our vegan Christmas puddings tastes just like a traditional pud, but use a vegan suet alternative to cut out any animal products. These vegan Christmas puddings are packed with rich dried fruits and spices and have a slight boozy kick from the brandy or rum. Vegan suet can be found in health food stores around Christmas time, in some supermarkets, and online. Following a vegan diet doesn’t mean missing out on Christmas classics, as you can see with this vegan Christmas pudding recipe. The proof, as they say, is in the pudding!
IngredientsFor the Christmas pudding:
- 90g plain flour
- 1tsp ground nutmeg
- 1tsp mixed spice
- 1tsp cinnamon
- 90g dark muscovado sugar
- 45g dry white breadcrumbs
- 100g vegan suet
- ½tsp baking powder
- 2tbsp black treacle
- 6tbsp brandy or rum
- finely grated zest and juice of 1 orange and 1 lemon
- 2tbsp beetroot powder or ¼tsp red colouring
- 1 apple, peeled and grated
- 250g mixed dried fruit
- 200g dried figs, chopped
- 5tbsp maple syrup
- 2tbsp brandy or rum
- edible gold glitter
- 1 fig cut into wedges
- 8 individual pudding basins, greased and base-lined
- Combine the flour, nutmeg, mixed spice, cinnamon, sugar, breadcrumbs, suet and baking powder in a large mixing bowl.
- Pour the black treacle, brandy or rum, orange and lemon zest and juice, beetroot powder or red colouring into the flour mixture.
- Add the grated apple, dried fruit and dried figs to the mixture then mix everything together with a large spoon. Divide the mixture equally between the pudding basins. Cover each one with baking parchment and foil and secure with some string.
- Cook the puddings in a steamer for 4 hours, topping up the water every 30 minutes or as needed.
- To serve, warm through in the steamer for 1 hour. Warm the maple syrup and brandy or rum and sprinkle in some edible gold glitter.
- Turn each vegan Christmas pudding out on to a plate, top each one with a fig wedge and drizzle over the warm maple syrup, brandy or rum and edible glitter mixture.