Salted caramel Christmas pudding
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Our salted caramel Christmas pudding is a trendy twist on a classic festive pud. The salted caramel sauce makes this pudding so indulgent and moreish, but isnít too sweet. This salted caramel Christmas pudding is the perfect option for anyone who isnít a huge fan of a classic Christmas pudding, but still wants a traditional festive dessert option.
IngredientsFor the Christmas pudding:
- 175g unsalted butter
- 175g light muscovado sugar
- 90g stem ginger, drained and chopped
- 100ml milk
- 100g ready-to-eat dates, chopped
- 175g plain flour
- Ĺtsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2tsp ground ginger
- 30g walnuts, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 75g unsalted butter
- 60g light muscovado sugar
- 150ml double cream
- ľtsp sea salt
- 2tbsp rum
- 1kg greased spherical pudding mould
- 900g pudding basin, greased and lined
- 30cm square clean muslin dipped in 60g melted butter
- Put the butter and sugar for the pudding in a large non-stick pan with the ginger, milk and dates. Stir until the butter has melted, then let the mixture cool for 5 mins.
- Tip the flour, bicarbonate of soda, ground ginger, walnuts and eggs into the cooled mixture and stir together until smooth.
- Stand the base of the pudding mould in the base of the large pudding basin and arrange the muslin square in the base of the mould with edges overhanging the pudding basin. Spoon in half the mixture.
- Hold the edges of the muslin as you spoon in the remaining mixture. Tie up tightly to secure. Trim the string and any excess muslin. Secure the top mould and clip in place, removing from the pudding basin.
- Steam for 1Ĺ hours, topping up the water regularly.
- Meanwhile, make the salted caramel sauce. Put the butter in a pan with the light muscovado sugar and warm gently, to melt, then stir in the cream, sea salt and rum.
- Unclip the pudding mould, cut away the string and turn out on to a serving dish. Drizzle over the warmed salted caramel sauce and finish off with lit indoor sparklers (optional). Eat your salted caramel Christmas pudding within 2 days.