Citrus Christmas pudding
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Our citrus Christmas pudding puts a zesty twist on a classic Christmas pudding, and our recipe is gluten free! The flavour of lemon makes this citrus Christmas pudding a bit different, and cuts through the richness of the pudding. This citrus Christmas pudding recipe makes 2 x 900g puddings, each serving 8. You could keep one citrus Christmas pudding for your family’s Christmas dinner and give the other as a gift, if you like.
IngredientsFor the Christmas pudding:
- 2 large lemons
- 90g carrot, grated
- 150g gluten-free bread
- 60g gluten-free self-raising flour
- 175g dark muscovado sugar
- 1tbsp mixed spice
- 500g dried mixed fruit
- 250g ready-to-eat prunes, chopped
- 150g chilled butter, grated
- 60g blanched almonds, chopped
- 3 eggs
- 150ml cider
- 5tbsp whisky
- 3tbsp sherry
- 1 orange, sliced
- 2 x 1ltr greased and base-lined pudding basins
- Put 1 lemon in a pan of cold water, cover and bring to the boil. Simmer for 30 mins until very soft. Drain and allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, break the gluten-free bread into a processor and blitz to turn into breadcrumbs then tip the crumbs into a large bowl.
- Quarter the softened lemon, remove seeds and blitz in a processor to finely chop. Tip into the bowl with the breadcrumbs.
- Add the gluten-free flour, sugar, mixed spice, dried mixed fruit, prunes, butter and chopped almonds.
- Combine the eggs in a jug with the whisky and sherry and mix together with a fork. Pour into the bowl and mix everything together.
- Slice the remaining lemon and arrange slices at the base of each pudding basin. Divide the mixture between the basins and smooth over. Cover with a double sheet of pleated baking paper and foil and secure with string.
- Cook in a steamer for 6 hours, checking and topping up with boiling water every 30 mins or as needed.