All day brunch wreath
Prep time:plus proving
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This all day brunch wreath is a flavour-packed sharing bread that can be made ahead and frozen. It contains all your favourite brunch essentials, like sausages, bacon, and black pudding, shaped into a festive wreath. It's a great way to use up any leftover sausages or rashers of bacon too. Despite is festive shape, you could still make this all day brunch wreath at any time of the year.
- 6 sausages
- 6 slices streaky bacon
- 3 thick slices black pudding
- 5tbsp sweet mustard ketchup
- 6 small cherry tomato vines, around 10cm long
- a few sprigs of thyme
- 500g strong white bread flour
- 2tsp fast-action dried yeast
- 2tsp fine sea salt
- 3tbsp olive oil
You can freeze after the second prove. Cook the wreath from frozen at the same oven temperature for 30-35 mins. Decorate with sprigs of thyme.
- For the bread, mix the flour, yeast and sea salt in a bowl. Make a well in the middle, pour in 300ml warm water and the oil. Mix, then tip onto a lightly floured work surface and knead until smooth and springy. Put in an oiled bowl, cover with a tea towel and leave in a warm place for 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
- Heat the grill to medium, partially cook the sausages for 6 mins, and the bacon and black pudding for 2 mins, turning as needed. Leave to cool.
- Divide the dough into 3 equal portions. One at a time, roll them into 30cm rounds. Put one on a baking sheet and spread all over with half the mustard ketchup, top with another round and spread with the rest of the mustard ketchup, and then top with the last round of dough. Stamp out a 7.5cm round from the centre and discard.
- Make 12 even snips around the outer edge of the dough, leaving 5cm of uncut dough near the centre. Arrange 6 sausages, like the spokes of a wheel, on the dough and in-between each snip, alternately put 2 slices of bacon or a slice of black pudding with each sausage.
- Twist each dough strip like a cheese straw. Fold these up and over the sausages, to create a cross, also enclosing the tomatoes. Tuck the ends under at the centre.
- Cover the dough wreath with a tea towel and leave in a warm place to rise for 30 mins. Heat the oven to 200°C. Bake the bread for 25-30 mins.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 612(kcal)
- Fat 27.0g
- Saturates 9.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.